Number of Days
30 Days Birding Tanzanian endemics
Birdwatching in the Lake Victoria region and northern Tanzania is a fantastic opportunity to explore diverse ecosystems and encounter a wide variety of bird species, including numerous endemics and migratory birds. This overview outlines a 14-day birding itinerary in the Lake Victoria and northern Tanzania region, followed by a 7-day extension to the Usambara Mountains
- Gorilla Experience
- Wild Life Encounters
- Cultural Encounters
Northern Tanzania and Usambara Mountains Specialities Detailed Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival in Entebbe, Uganda
- Arrive in Entebbe, Uganda, and transfer to your accommodation.
- Depending on your arrival time, you may have the opportunity for some initial birdwatching in the local area.
Day 2-4: Lake Victoria Islands
- Explore the Lake Victoria islands, such as Ssese Islands or Ngamba Island.
- Look out for various waterbirds, including herons, egrets, cormorants, and the rare shoebill stork.
Day 5-7: Serengeti National Park
- Cross the border into Tanzania and head to Serengeti National Park.
- Enjoy game drives while birdwatching, spotting species like secretary birds, ostriches, and various raptors.
Day 8-9: Ngorongoro Crater
- Visit the Ngorongoro Crater, a unique habitat with abundant birdlife and a chance to see flamingos in the crater’s lake.
Day 10-12: Tarangire National Park
- Explore Tarangire National Park, known for its large elephant population and diverse bird species.
Day 13-14: Lake Manyara National Park
- Birdwatching in Lake Manyara National Park, which is home to a wide array of birdlife, including tree-climbing lions.
7-Day Extension: Usambara Mountains Day 15: Travel to Lushoto, Usambara Mountains
- Travel to Lushoto in the Usambara Mountains, a biodiversity hotspot.
- Begin birdwatching in the lush forests of the region.
Day 16-18: Birding in Usambara Mountains
- Explore the forests and trails of the Usambara Mountains, home to several endemic species.
Day 19: Transfer to Amani Nature Reserve
- Transfer to Amani Nature Reserve, another birding hotspot in the Usambara Mountains.
Day 20-21: Birdwatching in Amani Nature Reserve
- Spend two full days birdwatching in Amani Nature Reserve, searching for endemic and rare species.
Day 22: Return to Lushoto and Departure
- Return to Lushoto, relax, and prepare for departure.