This Park is an extensive National park, protecting a large block of rainforest that offers excellent flora and fauna. With lush tropical rain forest and fascinating diversity, it is one of the most beautiful and stunning forests in Uganda. It harbours the greatest variety and concentration of primates found anywhere in East Africa. It is a home to the largest number in Uganda to the endangered Chimpanzee as well as the Red Colobus.

Size: 560 sq kms

Elevation: 920 to 1590m above sea level

Birds Recorded: 340 species

Habitat: The forested section 77% of the park is covered by medium altitude moist evergreen forest in the north and medium altitude semi-deciduous forest at lower altitude in the south. The remaining 23% consists of grassland, swamps and some plantations with exotic conifers.

In Kibale National Park, bird watchers look out for the Nahan’s Francolin, an endangered species found in three other forest reserves, the Forest Ground-thrush recorded in only two other IBAs. Other interesting species include Yellow-spotted Nictor, Yellow-ramped Tinkerbird, Speckled Tinkerbird, Little Greenbul, Superb Sunbird,  African Pitta, White-thighed Hornbill, Grey-winged Robin, Blue-shouldered Robin-chat, Yellow-spotted Barbet, Black-billed Turacco, White-naped Pigeon, Green-breasted Pitta, Purple-headed Starling, Red-chested Flufftail, Joyful Greenbul, Cabanis Greenbul, Grey-throated Tit-flycatcher, Scarlet-tufted, Green-throated, Purple-breasted Sunbirds, White-bellied Crested Flycatcher, Masked Apalis, Tiny Sunbird, White-collared Olive-back and the Black bee-eater any many others.


Start Chart
Bird Uganda Safaris
Hey there,
There's an expert waiting to chat with you
How can we help you?